We love making Valentine’s Day special for kids whether that is by making sure all kids at the class party have a special Valentine they can take home, or creating memories at home making special Valentines treats with their families.
Another way we think makes Valentine’s Day special for kids is serving them a special Valentine’s Day breakfast before school. Most kids have a classroom party but why not start the party early by making these red velvet Valentine’s Day doughnuts for your kiddos before school. They even make a great dessert.
They’re really easy to make and they taste delicious. But who are we kidding? I’m sure we don’t have to convince you, and you won’t have to convince your kids that it’s a good idea to have doughnuts for breakfast!
These red velvet Valentine’s Day doughnuts can even be taken to the classroom party and given out as treats. The students will thank you and the teachers will thank you.
If you are ready to put a smile on your kids face Valentine’s Day morning check out our red velvet Valentine’s Day doughnut recipe below.
Red Velvet Valentine’s Day Doughnuts Recipe
- 1 cup of flour
- 2 teaspoons of cocoa powder
- 1/3 cup of sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 2 1/2 tablespoons of unsalted sweet cream butter, melted and cooled to room temperature
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon of sour cream
- 1/3 cup of buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon of red food coloring
- 1/2 teaspoon distilled vinegar
- 1/2 cup of mini chocolate chips
- 1 regular size doughnut pan
- non-stick cooking spray
Cream cheese frosting
- 1 tablespoon of unsalted sweet cream butter
- 4 oz cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups of powdered sugar
- 2tablespoons whole milk
- Valentine’s Day sprinkles
- 1 disposable piping bag
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray doughnut pan with non-stick spray. Set aside.
- In a large bowl whisk together the flour, cocoa, sugar, baking soda and salt.
- Using a standing mixer, beat together the melted butter, egg, vanilla, sour cream and buttermilk.
- Mix in the food coloring and distilled vinegar.
- Gradually add the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and whisk until just combined and smooth.
- Mix in the chocolate chips
- Spoon the batter into a large zip bag, cut the bottom corner off so there’s about 1/2 inch opening in the bottom corner.
- Pipe the batter into the prepared doughnut pan.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes or until the doughnuts feel slightly firm to the touch.
- Allow to cool for 5 minutes in the pan, then continue cooling on a wire rack.
- Make the Cream Cheese Glaze
- Using a standing mixer, beat the butter and cream cheese until combined.
- Add in 1 cup powdered sugar and 1 tablespoon of cream or milk and whisk until combined.
- Add in more powdered sugar and cream until the desired sweetness level is reached.
- Pour the cream cheese frosting into the piping bag and cut a small tip
- Drizzle the cream cheese over the doughnuts and sprinkle with the valentines day sprinkles
- Let sit for a few minutes before enjoying!
We just love how these doughnuts can make a kid’s Valentine’s Day feel even more special!