Finding a job is a big part of becoming a teenager. And when your teen gets older, it gets easier for them to find a great job.
But that also means that your teen has a ton of options to choose from!
Finding the best jobs for 17 year olds doesn’t have to be a difficult process.
These great job ideas are the perfect way for your teenager to get some work experience and have a little fun, too.
Part-Time Jobs for 17 Year Olds
Working part time is a great option for teens because it allows them to create a work schedule around their school activities.
And there are a variety of different places your teen can work part-time to earn some extra money outside of school hours.
These jobs are perfect for 17 year olds in search of part-time work.
Working retail is perfect for teenagers because there are a variety of positions to choose from in the retail field. They can also choose from tons of different stores based on their interests and experience.
When working in the retail field, 17 year olds can work as a cashier, stocker, salesperson, or in the loading department.
These retail locations are a few different options for teens who need a part-time job:
- Clothing store
- Pet store
- Grocery store
- Gas station or convenience store
- Jewelry store
- Salon or spa
- Hotel or bed and breakfast
Another popular job option among teenagers is the restaurant industry. Working at a restaurant allows teens to learn new things and practice their customer service skills.
And with a variety of positions to choose from, your teen can pick a job that fits their personality.
In the restaurant industry, teenagers can work as servers, hosts, line cooks, dishwashers, bus persons, fast food cashiers, delivery drivers, and baristas. Picking a job in the restaurant industry is easy for a teenager!
Consider these types of restaurants when looking for a job for a 17 year old:
- Fast food restaurants
- Sit-down restaurants
- Coffee shops
- Bakeries and donut shops
- Cafés and diners
There’s no reason your teen has to pick a boring job! Working at an entertainment-focused job is a great way for them to have some fun while they work.
There are tons of great options for teenagers looking for work in an amusement-related field. Teens could work as a ride operator at an amusement park, a ticket collector at an arcade, or a gymnastics instructor at a local children’s gym.
Look for a fun job at one of these locations:
- Amusement parks
- Trampoline parks
- Gyms and play yards
- Recreation centers
- Water parks
- Stadiums and arenas
- Race tracks
Business Ideas for 17 Year Olds
If your teen would rather be their own boss, why not help them create their own business to earn extra money?
There are a variety of great ways your teenager can earn money by starting a business in their spare time.
These simple business ideas are perfect for teenagers:
- Babysitting. This classic job for teenagers is a great way for teens who love kids to earn some extra money without getting a traditional job.
- Pet sitter. Teens who love pets can work as a pet sitter for neighbors and friends. In addition to taking care of pets while their owners are away, your teen can also offer dog walking services as part of their business.
- House painting. Painting can be a big job for homeowners. But if your 17 year old is good at painting, they can start a business providing painting services for neighbors and friends, offering to paint the interior or exterior of their homes.
- Online resale. Purchasing items and reselling them online is another great way to earn some extra money. Your teen can purchase items at garage sales or through online marketplaces, then resell them at a higher price online.
- House cleaning. Cleaning houses is a good job option for any teen who is great at keeping their room clean. Starting a house cleaning business will allow your teen to create their own schedule and work around their school activities.
- Running errands. Elderly neighbors and busy moms can use extra help now and then. By offering to run errands for friends and family, your teen can ear extra money during their time off school. Your teen can pick up groceries, deliver prescriptions, and offer rides to appointments.
Summer Jobs for 17 Year Olds
Getting a summer job is a great way for your teenager to earn some extra money while they’re off school.
And there are tons of great job ideas for a 17 year old looking for work during the summer months.
These seasonal jobs are perfect for teens in the summer.
If your 17 year old enjoys swimming, working as a lifeguard may be the perfect job for them.
They’ll get to spend time outside and in the water all summer long. To be a lifeguard, they must be a great swimmer and have experience in first aid.
Teens can find a job as a lifeguard at the local pool, beach, campground, recreation center, or gym.
Golf Course Worker
During the warm summer months, many people enjoy heading to the golf course. That means your local golf courses are probably searching for summer help.
Jobs at a golf course are a great option for any teen who enjoys golfing.
They can work as a caddy, in the pro shop, or in the club’s restaurant as a host or server.
Helping friends and neighbors keep their lawns looking great all summer long is another wonderful job idea for your teenager.
They can work for an established company or start their own venture during the summer.
Mowing lawns, tending gardens, trimming hedges, and spreading mulch are all simple jobs for 17 year olds to do as part of their landscaping business.
Many families begin searching for a nanny during the summer months when their kids are out of school.
While this type of job is similar to babysitting, working as a nanny will require your teen to work exclusively with one family on a daily basis.
Whether your teen has been to camp in the past or just enjoys working with kids, getting a summer job as a camp counselor could be a great opportunity for them.
They’ll get to meet new people and enjoy time outdoors while earning some extra money during their time off school.
Internships for 17 Year Olds
While your teen may not earn money through an internship, it can offer them real-world experience in a field they’re interested in.
And working at an internship during high school can also look great on a college application.
Finding an internship as a high schooler is a little more difficult than looking for a job as an intern at the college level. But there are a variety of ways your teen can find an internship if they’re interested in gaining on-the-job experience.
- Reach out to friends, neighbors and family members. Ask people you know if they’re business is hiring interns or if they know of any local companies that offer internships to teens.
- Check with their guidance counselor. The guidance counselor at your teen’s high school is another great resource for finding internships. Ask the counselor if they can point your kid in the right direction to find an internship for them to participate in.
- Contact local businesses. If your teen is interested in working at a particular business in your area, tell them to reach out to inquire about internship opportunities.
These are some jobs for 17 year olds that shouldn’t be too hard to get. As teenagers are getting close to being adults, even more job opportunities will open up to them.