As a mom, I can attest to the fact that having a hobby is a great way to relax and unwind.
Some of my hobbies include reading, blogging and watching movies.
But if you’re a busy mom, finding time to do something that’s just for you often gets pushed aside.
From taking care of your kids to keeping the house clean, it’s easy to get caught up in taking care of everyone else and difficult to find the time to do something you love.
If you’re dedicated to adding more self-care to your routine, why not try a new hobby?
Need some ideas? Choose a few things from this list of hobbies for moms to help you carve out some time for yourself each day.
How to Choose a Hobby
Figuring out how to incorporate a hobby into your busy schedule is one of the biggest reasons moms put off adding a new skill to their life.
But learning a new hobby doesn’t have to be difficult!
That’s because once you start adding a new activity into your routine, you’ll be so happy you took that time for yourself that you’ll want to keep doing it over and over again!
But figuring out how to get a hobby probably seems easier said than done. So, if you’re wondering where to start, the first step to getting yourself a hobby is to pick an activity that you enjoy.
And since there are literally hundreds of different hobbies to choose from, you’ll have your pick of fun activities to start adding to your life.
Luckily, there are a few simple things you can do to help you narrow down a list of activities that’s perfect for you!
Use these tips to help you pick a new hobby:
- Use your personality. One of the best ways to decide on a new hobby is to take a look at yourself and your personality. What do you like to do in your free time? What do you NOT like to do? Do you like to be around people or do you prefer to be alone? All of these questions will help you narrow down your list of hobby ideas.
- Consider your skill set. Finding a new hobby is a great way to learn a new skill. But knowing your limits and abilities is also important. Since your time is often limited as a mom, finding a hobby that works within your skill set is a great way to help you enjoy more time you spend doing the hobby and less time learning how to do it. As you scan through the list of hobby ideas, think about the things you already know how to do and how you can use those skills to help you find a fun new activity to enjoy.
- Figure out your schedule. As a busy mom, it can be so hard to set aside time just for you. But if you want to enjoy a hobby, you’ll need time to do it! When you start to narrow down your list of potential hobbies, think about the time commitment that goes along with each activity. How much free time can you add to your schedule each day, week, or month? Will you have time to attend team practice for a new sport every week? Do you have the free time needed to refinish a piece of furniture? Use your schedule as a guide to help you decide which activities are a good fit for your life right now.
- Think about your budget. While some hobbies for moms are free to do like reading (hello library), others will require you to invest some money into the activity. In addition to purchasing equipment and/or supplies for the hobby, you might also need to take lessons to learn how to do the activity. Make sure you know how much money you have to spend on your hobby before you dive into the activity. Then, think about how much money you’ll need to invest into the activity to start and how much money you may need to spend on a regular basis to continue enjoying the hobby after you’ve started.
- Consider your needs. Ask yourself why you want to start a new hobby in the first place. Do you want to be more active? Are you hoping to connect with new people? Do you want to learn a new skill that could help you earn money in the future? The answer to these questions will help you determine what you hope to get out of a new activity.
Creative Hobbies for Moms
Getting creative is one of the most popular hobby choices among moms.
That’s because creativity is a great outlet! And since there are so many creative hobbies that are perfect for moms, you’re sure to find one or two activities that fit your interests.
These arts and crafts hobbies for moms are perfect for any mom who loves to let their creative juices flow.
- Painting (watercolor, oil, etc.)
- Creative writing
- Cookie decorating
- Cake decorating
- Making beer
- Making wine
- Candle Making
- Soap making
- Building models
- Planting flowers
- Growing succulents
- Metal stamping
- Coffee making/roasting
- Glass blowing
- Making stained glass
- Jewelry making
- Cross stitch
- Flower arranging
- Playing an instrument
- Hair styling
- Nail art
- Making t-shirts
- Decorating your home
- Home organizing
- Sign making
- Refinishing furniture
- Graphic design
- Wood carving
- Wood burning
- Making wreaths
- Building models
- Cricut crafts
Educational Hobby Ideas for Moms
If you’d rather hone your mind during your free time, why not find an educational hobby to add to your daily routine?
These fun activities are a great way to reduce stress and relax while also improving your mind in the process.
- Crossword puzzles
- Doing jigsaw puzzles
- Learning a new language
- Learning sign language
- Researching genealogy
- Studying history
- Historical reenactment
Fun Hobbies for Moms
Finding a hobby that’s also fun is a must!
So, if you’re ready to cut loose and enjoy some time that’s just for you, look for an activity that’s just plain fun.
These hobby ideas are a great way to incorporate more fun into your life as a busy mom.
- Playing chess
- Starting a collection
- Playing board games
- Throwing darts
- Doing magic tricks
- Playing video games
- Dog training
- Horseback riding
- Shopping yard sales/garage sales
- Backyard chickens
- Metal detecting
- Church choir
- Book club
- Wine tasting
- Beer tasting
- Playing pool
Active Hobby Ideas
Getting active is a great way to get your adrenaline pumping and endorphins flowing.
And that means finding an active hobby isn’t just good for your mental health, it improves your physical health, too!
If you love getting your body moving, why not try one of these active hobby ideas?
- Rock climbing
- Water aerobics
- Scuba diving
- Ballroom dancing
- Hip hop dancing
- Country line dancing
- Tap dancing
- Roller skating
- Roller Derby
- Ice skating
- Martial arts
- Table tennis
- Flag football
At this point you may be thinking there’s no way you’ll find time to fit a hobby into your busy life with kids.
Between school, extracurricular activities, doctor appointments and everything in between, there’s just no time for anything else.
Let me reassure you, there is always time. One thing that I’ve done that has helped me to find time for one of my favorite hobbies is to include the whole family in them.
As I mentioned earlier, I love watching movies. So instead of bemoaning the fact that I couldn’t find time to sit and watch one alone, I created a family movie night in our home.
This is where me, my husband and all of our kids sit together Friday or Saturday night and choose a movie to watch together.
Sometimes we go all out and get snacks, sleeping bags and the works to make it extra fun and sometimes we just watch the movie and keep it simple.
You can do something similar.
Want to learn how to sew? Take sewing lessons with your kids.
Bring the kids along as you tryout for a community play production or let them try out, too.
There are so many hobbies for moms that are perfect for kids to join in with.
And remember, you can find creative ways to squeeze your hobbies in because even though you are a mom, your fulfillment matters, too.